Proportion of TLR-9 Gene Polymorphisms at rs352139 (G1174A) in HIV/AIDS Patients in West Java, Indonesia

Yehezkiel Yonathan, Edhyana Sahiratmadja, Agnes Rengga Indrati

Abstract


Background: Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection is the main cause of the immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). TLR-9 gene encodes a toll-like receptor-9 that plays a key role in innate immunity. This study aimed to describe the proportion of TLR-9 polymorphisms at rs352139 in patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia.

Methods: This was a descriptive study involving a total of 96 patients with HIV/AIDS treated in a tertiary hospital in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia in 2013. TLR-9 gene polymorphisms at rs 352139 were examined using a mass screening platform and the genotypes proportion was presented in percentage and compared with other populations.

Results: The average age of the HIV/AIDS patients recruited was 30 years (SD+6.1) and the baseline mean of CD4+ count was 318.02 mm3 (Normal was 1,500 mm3) (SD+273.1). The proportion of polymorphisms at rs352139or G1174A presented a wild type genotype GG (42.7%), GA (44.9%), and AA (12.4%), resulting in a total proportion nucleotide change of 57.3%.

Conclusion: A total proportion of nucleotide change or polymorphisms is higher than the wild type. A further cohort study is of great interest to associate the rs352139 polymorphisms with a decrease in CD4+cells in HIV/AIDS patients, confirming a rapid disease progression.

 


Keywords


CD4+, HIV/AIDS, polymorphisms, rapid progression, TLR-9, West Java

Full Text:

PDF

References


Sharp PM, Hahn BH. Origins of HIV and the AIDS pandemic. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2011;1:1.

UNAIDS. UNAIDS Data 2017. 2017;

Ditjen PP & PL Kemenkes RI, Kementrian Kesehatan RI. Data Statistik HIV di Indonesia 2014. Kemenkes RI. 2014: 1–3.

Siliciano RF, Greene WC. HIV latency. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2011;1(1):a007096.

Nicholas JB, Shelley AG, Michael SB, Aaron G, Mary LWP. HIV Infection and AIDS Workup. Medscape. 2017.

Deeks SG, Lewin SR, Havlir DV. The end of AIDS: HIV infection as a chronic disease. Lancet. 2013;382: 1525-1533.

Maartens G, Celum C, Lewin SR. HIV infection: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, treatment, and prevention. Lancet. 2014;384: 258-271.

MacKelprang RD, Bigham AW, Celum C, DeBruyn G , Beima-Sofie K, John-Stewart G. Toll-like receptor polymorphism associations with HIV-1 outcomes among sub-saharan Africans. J Infect Dis. 2014;209:1623–7.

Hajishengallis G, Lambris JD. More than complementing Tolls: Complement–Toll-like receptor synergy and crosstalk in innate immunity and inflammation. Immunol Rev. 2017; 274(1): 233–244.

Skevaki C, Pararas M, Kostelidou K, Tsakris A, Routsias JG. Single nucleotide polymorphisms of Toll-like receptors and susceptibility to infectious diseases. Clin Exp Immunol. 2015;180:165–77.

Willie B, Hall NB, Stein CM, Jurevic RJ, Weinberg A, Mehlotra RK, Zimmerman PA..Association of Toll-Like Receptor Polymorphisms With HIV Status in North Americans. Genes Immun. 2015;15:569–77.

Brichacek B, Vanpouille C, Kiselyeva Y, Biancotto A, Merbah M, Hirsch I. Contrasting roles for TLR ligands in HIV-1 pathogenesis. PLoS One. 2010:1–12.

Kobayashi K, Yuliwulandari R, Yanai H, Naka I, Lien LT, Hang NT. Association of TLR Polymorphisms with Development of Tuberculosis in Indonesian Females. Tissue Antigens. 2012;79:190–7.

Yang Y, Li X, Cui W, Guan L, Shen F, Xu J. Potential association of pulmonary tuberculosis with genetic polymorphisms of toll-like receptor 9 and interferon-gamma in a Chinese population. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:511.

Torres-Garcia D, Cruz-Lagunas A, Garcia-Sancho FMC, Fernandez-Plata R, Baez-Saldana R, Mendoza-Milla C. Variants in toll-like receptor 9 gene influence susceptibility to tuberculosis in a Mexican population. J Transl Med. 2013;11:220.

Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Pedoman Nasional Tatalaksana Klinis Infeksi HIV dan Terapi Antiretroviral Pada Orang Dewasa. 2011;

Liovat AS, Rey-Cuille MA, Lecuroux C, Jacquelin B, Girault I PG, et al. Acute plasma biomarkers of T cell activation set-point levels and of disease progression in HIV-1 infection. PLoS One. 2012;7(10):e46143.

Joshi A, Punke EB, Mehmetoglu-gurbuz T, Peralta DP, Garg H. TLR9 polymorphism correlates with immune activation , CD4 decline and plasma IP10 levels in HIV patients.BMC Infectious Disease. 2019;1–13.




DOI: https://doi.org/10.15850/amj.v7n.2014



 This Journal indexed by

                         

Creative Commons License
AMJ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

 


View My Stats