Parental Knowledge, Attitude, and Behavior towards Basic Immunization

Vicky Sagita Hanka, Edward Surjono

Abstract


Immunization, which is usually done by giving vaccinations, is the process of forming immunity in individuals against infectious diseases. The target in the Strategic Plan of the Ministry of Healht of the Republic of Indonesia in 2015-2019 aimed for 93 % of coverage. However, according to the report of the Indonesian Basic Health Survey (IBHR), there is actually a decrease in basic immunization coverage for the period of 2012–2015 when compared to the previous period. This study aimed to determine the correlation between parental knowledge, attitudes, and behavior towards complete course of basic immunization among parents of an elementary school in North Jakarta, Indonesia, in 2018 and 2019. This was a cross-sectional analytical descriptive study involving 110 respondents. Data were obtained through a questionnaire that was distributed to parents that included questions on knowledge, attitude, and behavior towards complete basic immunization. Out of 110 respondents, 70% stated that their child received the full basic immunization course while the remaining 30% stated that their child only received some of the vaccines required in the basic immunization course. There was no correlation, based on the bivariate analytical test, between parental behavior (p = 0.868), parental attitude (p = 0.647), and full course of basic immunization. In contrast, parental knowledge influences whether the child will receive the full course of basic immunization or not (p=0.000).


Keywords


attitude;behavior;complete basic immunization; knowledge

Full Text:

PDF

References


Rahmawati AI, Umbul C. Faktor yang mempengaruhi kelengkapan imunisasi dasar di kelurahan krembangan utara. J Berk Epidemiol. 2014;2:59–70.

Penghasilan Kelas Menengah Naik = Potensi Pajak - Badan Pendidikan dan Pelatihan Keuangan. Available from: http://www.bppk.kemenkeu.go.id/id/publikasi/artikel/167-artikel-pajak/21014-penghasilan-kelas-menengah-naik-potensi-pajak

Kim HY. Statistical notes for clinical researchers: Chi-squared test and Fisher's exact test. Restor Dent Endod. 2017;42(2):152-155.

Prihanti GS, Rahayu MP, Abdullah MN. Faktor – Faktor Yang Memepengaruhi Status Kelengkapan Imunisasi Dasar Diwilayah Kerja Puskesmas X Kota Kediri. Saintika Medika: Jurnal Ilmu Kesehatan dan Kedokteran Keluarga. 1 Desember 2016;12(2):120–8.

Triana V. Faktor Yang Berhubungan Dengan Pemberian Imunisasi Dasar Lengkap Pada Bayi Tahun 2015. J Kesehat Masy Andalas. 2017;10(2):123.

Thaib T, Darussalam D, Yusuf S, Andid R. Cakupan Imunisasi Dasar Anak Usia 1-5 tahun dan Beberapa Faktor yang berhubungan di Poliklinik Anak Rumah Sakit Ibu dan Anak (RSIA) Banda Aceh. Sari Pediatr. 2016;14(5):283.

Budiman AR. Pengetahuan dan Sikap dalam Penelitian Kesehatan. Jakarta: Salemba Medika; 2013.

Patel Trushitkumar B, Pathak R, Singh R, Alves V, Mahesh NM, Chaluvaraj TS, et al. Assessment of Parents’ Knowledge, Attitude and Practice about Child Vaccination in Rural areas. J Pharm Res. 2017;16(3):229.

Albertina M, Febriana S. Kelengkapan Imunisasi Dasar Anak Balita dan Faktor-Faktor yang Berhubungan di Poliklinik Anak Beberapa Rumah Sakit di Jakarta dan Sekitarnya pada Bulan Maret 2008. Sari Pediatr. 2016;11(1):1.

Hudhah MH, Hidajah AC. Perilaku Ibu Dalam Imunisasi Dasar Lengkap Di Puskesmas Gayam Kabupaten Sumenep. J PROMKES. 2018;5(2):167.

Gore P, Madhavan S, Curry D, McClung G, Castiglia M, Rosenbluth SA, et al. Predictors of childhood immunization completion in a rural population. Soc Sci Med. 1999;48(8):1011–27.




DOI: https://doi.org/10.15395/mkb.v53n2.2208

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.



 

This Journal indexed by

                    

  


Creative Commons License
MKB is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

 


View My Stats